Dating marks royal doulton
Virtually all Doulton tableware has a black printed Doulton ‘mark’ or ‘backstamp’ applied to the underside of the piece.
The mark was varied from time to time and the table below includes the major marks that appear on tableware manufactured at the Doulton (Burslem) factory (Series Ware and the Lambeth Stonewares often have special marks).
The new mark and use of the name ‘Royal Doulton’ as opposed to ‘Doulton’ signify the grant of a Royal Warrant to Henry Doulton by King Edward VII in 1901.
From 1922 or 1923 until the end ( presumably) of 1927 tableware appears bearing a mark that lacks the traditional crown.
The simple rule is that adding 1927 to the number give the year of production.
This second use of the ‘standard’ mark is believed to have continued until about 1936.
From 1901 to 1922 the standard mark appears with the words ‘Royal Doulton’ and ‘England’.
Royal Doulton was started in 1815 with a factory in London, England, by partners John Doulton, John Watts and Martha Jones.
The factory produced stoneware, decorative bottles and sewer pipes. With his son Henry, John Doulton established the factory as a manufacturer of fine English stoneware. Other backmarks on early Royal Doulton may incorporate pattern names, like Rouen or Kew.
The Doulton tableware marks are below the glaze (as is the decoration in most cases).
It could thus have been applied at any time between the first, biscuit, firing of the ware and the final step of application of the glaze.